I'm sure my dad really meant for those to be gifts for his little girls. He loved us. But he had a drug problem and his addictions trumphed everything else in his life. So early the next morning while we were still in bed my dad came into our room and took the doll house and the beautiful dress he had given us just the day before. He reasoned he could resell them for more money than what he paid.
I tell you this story because I realize having God as my Father doesn't come without trust issues and this comes to mind when start to doubt. I have been clothed in God's own righteousness. He has paid the highest cost for me. His relentless love has covered me. And when I start to doubt I begin to think that He is taking back what He's given me.
I think of Peter on the waves in the Gospel of Matthew. He has seen Jesus and stepped out onto the waves. When he begins to doubt he starts to slip under the water. When we doubt, we sink--even though God has not changed and Jesus is still in front of us.
Mistrust has some incredible consequences. Like I mentioned in the post about Trust & Eve & You, Eve gave up Eden and closeness with God because she mistrusted Him disobeyed.
Mistrust leads to disobedience and disobedience leads to seperation from God. It causes a break in our relationship with Him.
Jesus has made a way through the cross for us to have a relationship with Him, to live for Him. We can be Eve in the garden before the fall, Peter who stood on rocky waves with Jesus before he began to slip underwater. When we choose not to trust God we are Eve eating the fruit; we are Peter sinking below the waves.
God has already done it all. We simply have to trust and obey (cue old hymn).
Realize this: if our own Maker, the One Who came to die in our place and free us from sin and shame and death cannot be trusted, who can? He alone is trustworthy!
No comments:
Post a Comment