In my mind, I go back and forth between two places. In one place, I wear the hat, badge, honor and authoritative weight of a protective mother. In that place, I am an advocate and keenly aware of any possible threats that may come my son's way. Because I am his mouthpiece for this season of life, I am careful to tread lightly here and there, but not in a tip-toe manner, because I am also patrolling the banks of this place for incoming ships. I am ready to fire if danger creeps near as I am on high alert for such things. Proudly I keep my daily post protecting my greatest treasure, guarding this most precious gift which has been entrusted to me.
Yet there is another place I go in my mind where I am dancing in the highest daisy fields hand in hand with my son. I want to sing his love song to the world, to display his perceived ailment in shining armor. On my heart I proudly wear his badge of courage, strength and love. He is my joy and this joy is contagious. Why shouldn't I share this powerful, addictive love with the world? Perhaps they may be inspired to open their hearts as I have.
Today in my prayers of thanksgiving overflowing for the greatest gift the Lord has ever given to me, I thanked Him for many things. For sculpting my heart in the most miraculous way, for His faithfulness, yes!--even for Down syndrome! How much more has my faith increased because my son was born with Down syndrome!
I have begun to wonder why I am holding Marty's story back at all.
I chose not to share his diagnosis with everyone we meet. I still think this is wise; not everyone is open or welcoming of such precious information (and in my opinion, if that be the case, they are not worthy of such either; I shouldn't cast my pearls before swine). I want Marty to also have the opportunity to make a smashing first impression as well--just the opportunity that everyone else in the world should have without restrictions or limitations placed on them from preconceived ideas about Down syndrome. But the more people I decide to tell his story to, the more "touched" responses follow. When I think about all the great blessings that have been heaped upon me, the more I want to share those blessings. It has become the fire shut-up in my bones that Elijah speaks about in the Old Testament. There is a sheer joy that arises in my heart when I begin to think about all the Lord has done on my behalf when He decided to bless me with a son who has Down syndrome.
Perhaps it is time to share this joy with the world?~*
No comments:
Post a Comment