April 28, 2010

Where are the Special Needs Resources?

I've been bothered quite some time now on the extreme lack of good (if any) resources out there on raising a child with special needs (specifically Down syndrome) from a Christian perspective. There are no groups, no section in bookstore, no online forum specifically dedicated to this. I am not content with the blurb I read in a newletter or a small article tucked into a magazine from time to time. There has to--needs to--be something more.

As a new parent, I scoured the shelves of every media ladened outlet around. I searched tirelessly on the internet googling every word I could think of which might lead my heart to a warm hearth of moms I could connect with. My search still continues...

Perhaps this passion has been placed in my heart because I have been designed for such a task. I keep praying I'll find something, but keep coming up empty. God, show me a way if this is Your will.~*

3 comments:

  1. http://munciemenn.blogspot.com/2010/04/nothing-for-granted.html

    This is my friend's blog. Her daughter does not have DS but does have special needs. This may be a nice connection for you to have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *You* should start such a forum, since you have found none as of yet. You have such a passion for your son and learning about his needs; I think that if you were to start such a site you would quickly gather people who are in similar situations that can share their experiences. Much like your sister is doing with her site.

    Perhaps that is one of your paths in life - to be the one that brings these people together and begins to gather these resources. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.cp-sk.org/

    This group might be able to point you toward some information and resources!

    ReplyDelete