April 8, 2010

Engravings

My dad was an absent father.  He has made choices in his life, even still to this day, that sabotage all chances of any relationship he might have had with his children. Of course I remember most of the bad times more vivid than the fond times we had with our dad, but I try to keep those fond times in mind.

He used to take us fishing at a local park from time to time. He loved fishing and each of us kids had our own Disney fishing pole set up right alongside the rest of the poles at the dock. We had our favorite place to fish on the dock and so my dad carved our names very deeply into the top plank. It stood out among all the other names on that piece of wood and the grooves were deep enough so that we could place our chubby little fingers in them and trace our own names. We were very proud of that small token of affection.

Even after my dad and mom were divorced, we would visit that park from time to time and walk that dock, seeing who could spot our names first. Each time it would get harder and harder to find. There were more names added to our plank and weather and sheer use had worn the wood down significantly over the years. We'd try to trace our names with our growing hands but it was not so easily done.

The last time I remember visiting the park was at our church picnic about six or so years ago. I was newly engaged to my now husband and I wanted to proudly show him the small piece of heritage my father had left us on a rotting piece of wood. We walked the dock about three times, but I could not find our plank. When we finally found our names which were engraved so deeply at one time, I was pained to find that they were a mere shadow among a miriad of other names which had been carved over ours. It broke my heart and I wanted to cry. I walked off that dock with sadness growing deeper with each step.

Then the Lord spoke to me. "I have engraved you on the palms of my hands (Is. 49:16), and that will never fade."

My heart filled with joy as I remembered my Heavenly Father. I had allowed the Lord to take the place of the hole in my heart that my earthly father left when I had gotten saved about five years before I took that last stroll down the dock. I am so thankful He reminded me of His great love for me, despite what my earthly father has failed to do.

I hope you are encouraged today that although we can't see Daddy God, He is truly able to be that wonderful Father to the fatherless who's love is ever evident in the engraving on His hands.~* 

No comments:

Post a Comment