January 2, 2009

Out With It

Whew! I can finally blog about this now that my family has been told. WE'RE EXPECTING! It was really quite funny, actually. When we were away on our weekend getaway for our anniversary, I wasn't feeling good at all on Saturday night. I told myself I need to stop eating when I'm full, thinking that my stomach yuckiness was due to eating large meals that weekend. I had every intention of relaxing in front of the fire that night down in the lobby with our hosts but I high-tailed it up to the bedroom where I stayed the rest of the night.

The next day we went to the Olive Garden with another couple from our college. I like the Olive Garden, but I usually can't finish my meal when I go there because they stock you up on so much food. Well, I had a big bowl of salad, four breadsticks, my ENTIRE entree--a massive bowl of pasta and Tiramisu for dessert. When I had ordered the dessert, the husband of the other couple we were with went to use the restroom. When he returned, he told me that I should ask the waiter for my dessert because it was taking a while for them to bring it. I explained to him that I already ate it. He didn't believe me. "Bring it out, I want to see what it looks like!" I told him I couldn't--it was gone--I already ate it. "Are you sure you're not pregnant?" he asked. "I don't know!" I said.

That following Saturday, I convinced my husband to go with me to purchase a pregnancy test because, with the previous symptoms and others, I thought I might be pregnant. "No, you won't be pregnant," he said, "You haven't been pregnant before." "Have a little patience! I'm new to this!" I said. "Me too!" he replied.

Sunday morning, early. I take the test, set it face down like they tell you to on the sink and wait a few seconds before looking at it. At first, nothing. But then.... a very positive test! Shaking, I clasp my hand to my mouth to keep from letting out some shocked sound. I look at the instructions, look at the test. Instructions. Test. Instructions...test. Still shaking, I take the test and walk the long hallway to my bedroom to tell my sleeping husband his wife is pregnant and that he's going to be a dad.

WE'RE THRILLED! Mom and baby are doing fine. I'm nearly 8 weeks and no morning sickness yet. I'm feeling achy at times, but nothing too dramatic. I also feel slightly superhero-ish; my taste-buds and sense of smell are enhanced--which can be a blessing and a curse. It's fun to watch what new developments are happening each week. It's also fun to see Martin go from never serious to "safety-dad". Stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. You remember that night in class I left almost as soon as I got there because I wasn't feeling well? Turns out it wasn't the guacamole I had just eaten after all! I was preg and didn't know it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! We are so excited, I always wished my best friends would be pregnant with me, and it looks like the Lord answered those prayers as well. I can't wait to see what little Marty/Ambie looks like! Hard to believe our babies will be born THIS YEAR!! It's going to be a fun one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe! You're gonna make me cry! :D Didn't we say during the summer that this year would be a year of change! It's going to be the best change ever! How fun will it be to watch our kids grow!

    ReplyDelete