February 7, 2009

Searching for a Packzi

Packzi ("poonch-skey") is a wonderful Polish pastry that resembles, but is not to be confused with, a jelly-filled doughnut with powdered sugar on top. It is the meal of choice on Fat Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday--the beginning of Lent.

Fat Tuesday is the day to get all your goodies in before sacrificing them in a fast that lasts up until Easter Sunday, were we get to gorge ourselves again on chocolate bunnies. Lent is a time to remember Jesus' sacrifice for us on Calvary.

And this Fat Tuesday will mark the 4th straight year in a row where I've had to miss out on Packzi's. In Michigan, they're easy to find. Even in the most minute grocery outlet, there are packages of Packzi's. The hard-core fans of this 1000+ calorie treat wait in line, days--even nights--before the big feasting day to purchase boxes of these things. The very smart and savvy consumer places their order well in advance online to ensure they get their goods.

I have tried to search for these delicatable polish patries before in Minnesota. I walked into Cub my first year here to find the store void of Packzi's. I asked the baker if they even sold Packzi's. He looked at me like I had 3 heads. Online on blogs similar to this one, others complain in exhaustion about their efforts of trying to locate a Paczki in vain.

Sigh. Heritage lost, my unborn child in the womb might never get to experience the sweet goodness that is the Paczki until they are old enough to chew it someday.~*

No comments:

Post a Comment