February 24, 2009

Aggravated

So I asked my teacher last week on Tuesday if we had an exam in another one of her classes that day since I hadn't heard about it in our previous classes. She assured me that we indeed wouldn't be having an exam that day; it was being rescheduled for the following Thursday.

Today is Tuesday, one week after my conversation with my teacher. I showed up to class today expecting to take more notes for our upcoming exam this Thursday. Instead the teacher begins to hand out scantrons and #2 pencils. I was really caught off-guard. What was happening? When I asked the teacher concerning my confusion, she believed I had been mistaken--that I had somehow confused the paper that was due on Thursday with the exam today. I began to relay our exact conversation just the week prior where she informed me of the exam taking place this Thursday. The teacher shrugged and explained that the exam had been mentioned in class before (the class that I had missed last Thursday).

I wasn't getting anywhere with my evidence. I asked if I could take the exam at another time because she had misinformed me of the date. She said the test isn't worth much compared to the paper due in a few days and told me not to worry about it. Some other students tried to comfort me by adding their unhelpful and unwanted remarks: "It's super-easy." "Just guess." "Go for the big numbers on the test; think about the big picture."

That's not the point. I hate being unprepared for important things, like tests and assignments. Coupled with the fact that my teacher gave me the wrong information about the actual date of the exam and thinks nothing of it further aggravates me.

I took the test and guessed on 95% of my answers; the exam had to do with statistical numbers of people in poverty worldwide. This is a test I definately would have liked to have been more prepared for. I'm still heated over this whole incident and I am contemplating going to the department chair with a complaint. The teacher is supposed to go by the syllabus handed out on the first day of class. If there is a change to the syllabus, the teacher should inform the students in writing via e-mail or hardcopy. Mentioning an exam date change one class before the exam is to be given (while informing someone else of an entirely different date) is not any way to structure a class.

1 comment:

  1. I hear you on this one! The same teacher did this with a paper in Children and Youth in Crisis!! GRRR

    ReplyDelete