But I did wrestle with decision. I heard many opinions. The loudest being equality for all vs. beliefs being violated. Somehow it turned into us vs. them, with some Christians stating we just have to love everybody? This argument seemed to be missing the mark (pun intended).
And it hit me this morning what my own decision would be. So here is my open letter to Target, a store I loved so much.
Dear Target Higher Management,
I would like you to look around the world and dig deep. Research culturally, historically on women throughout time. I wish for you to pay special attention to how they are treated by society, by men. It's a violent history. But violence toward women is not something of the past; it's not a blight of yesteryear's less civilized societies. Even today it is celebrated and taught in our own culture. Fifty Shades of Gray is just one small example of this and it is sold in your stores--stores that now have an open door policy for anyone to use any bathroom they choose. You are not fully to blame, you are having to make a decision on how to handle a problem our culture has created; we don't know who we are. But for the appeasement of confusion you've thrown logic and reason aside and made a policy that paints a target on the backs of women. You are wrong in thinking consumerism will keep me coming. Because in a world where violence toward women is normalized, you don't create policies that put them even more at risk. Your stance to make everyone to feel equal has made me feel less-than, a common theme of womanhood. I do not feel safe bringing my daughters into a restroom where a man could walk in unquestioned. I take our safety very seriously. I cannot support a company that does not. I know your policy wasn't to invite child molesters and rapests into the women's restroom, but it opens the door for such people to take advantage of this situation. Despite what you might think, we don't live in an utopian society where everybody does the right thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment