My husband gave me a sideways look in the hospital when I wasn't sure if I was feeding our son the right way. "I thought you knew how to do all this stuff." he said. I know that there are those natural "motherly instincts" that women have hard-wired into their system, but there are just some things that women turned mothers simply learn as they go--usually by trial and error. Perhaps maternity leave is the training course for such learning to occur. It's not so much R&R with the new baby as it is a chance for new moms to try, try--and try--again.
I am starting to pick up cues from my son which make me feel like Sherlock Holmes, that mastermind of mystery solving. At first when he cried, I'd go down the list. Is he fed? Is his diaper dirty? Does he have gas? Going through the list can be exhausting. I have confused his cry and spent too much time feeding only to find out he's tired or wants to suck on his soothie. By the time I figured this out, he's ready to eat.
I'm learning as I go. Someday I'll be a pro at this~*
No comments:
Post a Comment